Monday, May 13, 2013

Newest Recruit: My Therapist Is a Maggot!

I have recruited many surprising Maggots, but I think this is my biggest catch of all. I am drunk with power. Okay, maybe it had nothing to do with me, but let me think so.

Backing up: my therapist from time to time gives details about himself - very carefully, I'm sure; he does not say much that is not intended to further the therapeutic relationship. Some three months ago he mentioned that he used to run five miles a day but had stopped. Of course I couldn't help but blurt out "You should have only run every OTHER day!" He said yes, he knew that - his ex-husband was a running coach. (I'd already assumed he was gay - which made things easier for me.) Let me say, it is very hard to imagine my therapist running. He looks more like he was the kid who tried to get out of gym every day to play Dungeon & Dragons under the bleachers.

Last week as I waited to be called back for my session, I started feeling guilty about the fact that I am always the last appointment of the day, and therefore the one who extends his day (I know, I know, this is ridiculous, of course it would be someone else in this spot if it weren't me, but the time spent waiting for the session to begin is a particularly easy time to get lost in self-recriminating musings). Then I thought about how he should be spending his time instead of talking to me: running, of course!

When the session starts I usually say the thing that's uppermost in my mind, so as I sat down I said, "I was just feeling sad that you don't run anymore."

He gaped at me, then a delighted smile spread across his face. "I don't know what to make of you sometimes," he said. "How do you do that?" Then, at my evident look of confusion, "I just started running again this week."

I was so happy and proud - then promptly chided him for running every day again. Then he chided me for turning the attention onto him, and then we talked about how I am not in fact responsible for his long days or, in fact, for All The Bad Things In The World.

But let me think I'm responsible for some of The Good Things, including for him running, because every new recruit makes me feel great.

9 comments:

Becky said...

Make this your new pre-therapy mantra... My therapist went through many years of training to learn about how to be a therapist. Even more important, he probably took whole classes in how to set boundaries. I can not make my therapist do anything he doesn't want to do. In fact, he probably looks forward to seeing me all day because I am That Fabulous. :-)

JP said...

Yes, perhaps he saves the best for last!

Anyway, I am not that new of a recruit, but you are definitely responsible for my renewed interest in running.

Solitary Diner (Also Known as The Frugalish Physician) said...

You can add me to the list of maggots that you've encouraged to run. While I have run in the past, your blog has been a big motivator to get back into it. In particular, every time I'm feeling slow and discouraged, I remember your advice to start slow and work up. It's gotten me through a number of moments of running-induced despair.

Anonymous said...

The small victories are the best.

V.

Jennifer said...

I've said this before and I will say it again: you changed my life.

I started running again in 2007 after reading your blog and have not stopped since, except for a brief interruption due to a pregnancy, but was back running 30min every other day when my baby was 3 months old. Now I run competitively. Running (and also therapy) was what got me through a very sad separation from my husband and is what keeps me happy and healthy and well-balanced now.

I recommend your blog and your 30min every other day plan to anyone who mentions they would like to run but don't think they can.

Congrats on your newest recruit!

ozma said...

Wow, that's pretty amazing. I can see why you'd be drunk with power! Not just getting him back into running but getting the psychic signals he was making that change. That's impressive.

I need to become a better maggot!! Right not is just not a good time to start running. (I am 7 months pregnant.) I do lots and lots of low impact exercise though! Like stair climbing and ellipticals and all those wussy things. So when it comes time to be a true maggot I will be a little bit ready...maybe? (I did some in my last pgcy but since I wasn't doing it regularly before this one I didn't think I should introduce it--I know pregnant ladies can run!)

Blue said...

can you just send me a personal text every other day reminding me that i need to lace up the tennies and go spend 30 minutes on the path? perhaps i need someone to force my mind around this necessity. i'm serious...it's always there, the "i should be exercising" thought--but it's most often just like a little shadow that i don't notice. only maybe it's cause i don't want to notice it. at any rate, i haven't made the consistent habit, and i'm not sure how i ever will. i'll do it for a week and then without noticing, i won't exercise for a month.

i need help. clearly. ♥

Jenny said...

You recruited me. I'd made stabs at running before, but I always got Achilles tendonitis and took ages recovering and assumed running just wasn't for me. Then I read your advice and thought, well, if elderly nuns pass me on the path, so be it! And I began running very slowly. So, so, so slowly. I doubt you can even imagine how slowly. Every other day, with swimming on the off days. And now, a whole year later, I have run the local Turkey Trot and a couple of other 5ks, and I am still running, every other day, a little faster, and not one single injury have I ever had. So thank you, thank you, thank you.

mym2bw said...

I am a therapist and always put my favorite clients at the end of the day. I never minded if they ran over because I enjoyed so much being a part of their journey. I am sure you fit the bill - enjoying your blog!